I had been in 2 minds about posting this up as Assisting or Second Shooting is often seen as a starting role in photography, rather than something that a photographer with 20 years experience of weddings should be doing. However there are many plus sides to assisting other photographers for both me and my future clients.
1. I get paid for it. Pretty obvious, but I don't work for free. It is increasingly common for couple to ask for a 2nd photographer to attend their wedding day, usually to capture events from the grooms point of view as well as the brides, Or if it is a particularly extravagant affair. Some photographers offer this service but in reality the 2nd shooter they use may be little more than an student photographer with out the the skill or experience required to deliver the results. Where as some photographers like myself offer a 2nd shooter as an optional extra and we charge for it, this ensures you get a great photographer on the day who will deliver the results expected.
2. I get the chance to try out new ideas. I photograph quite a few different areas of work, from live bands and portraits for magazines (willshootforrum.co.uk) to advertising and PR Events (martinhobby.co.uk) none of these other areas are quite like photographing a wedding. There is a lot of pressure on the main photographer at a wedding, and it can be quite stressful, it is not the time to try out new ideas, but as a 2nd Shooter I can, I get to look for alternative angles, and quirky details and try out new techniques I have learned. So this makes me a better photographer for my clients.
3. I get inspired by the way other photographers work and I can incorporate this into my own work, and this can be from other photographers of any level. Sometimes the most inspiring people are those new to the industry as they have such fresh ideas.
4. I get to share my knowledge with others. One of the services I offer is to go along with less experienced photographers, and guide them and offer help though out the day. Think of it as on the job training. To the couple I am an assistant, but I have gone out with other photographers, who wanted a bit of help with posing, or they had never photographed a winter wedding before....
5. It keeps me busy. At the time of writing this (26th June) Ive shot a dozen weddings this year already and I only have 3 Saturdays off between now and November! And I expect to book them up too. This keeps my finger firmly on the pulse of wedding photography ensuring I am never off the boil for my own clients!
Here a are a few of my favourite recent shots I have taken whist second shooting.
Taken whilst working with Carla Thomas.
Taken whilst working with Iain Gomes.
Taken whilst working with Chris Martin.
Taken whilst working with Steve Gerrard.
Taken whilst working with Jess Petrie.
Taken whilst working with Anthony Gould-Davies.
If you are a photographer who is looking for an awesome 2nd or if you want to know more about my on the job one to one training please get in touch.
07879647830 - email@example.com - or click here for my contact form.